A crane operator uses specialized equipment to move and place heavy materials vertically and horizontally.A crane is a type of machine, generally equipped with a hoist rope, wire ropes or chains, and sheaves, that can be used both to lift and to move. It is mainly used for lifting heavy things and transporting them.
Education & Training for a Crane Operator
To become a crane operator you usually have to obtain a license to Perform High Risk Work. To gain a license, you will need to register with an approved Registered Training Organization and work under the supervision of a licensed operator. Crane operating course is designed to increase the crane operator’s knowledge, skill and proficiency level through classroom and hands-on training.
Personal requirements of a Crane Operator
- concentrate for long periods
- Able to follow verbal and visual instructions
- Mechanical aptitude and good coordination
- Good eyesight for visual judgment of distances
- Comfortable working at heights
- Able to work as part of a team